Author Topic: WOW just sent me 7 days of free time  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Mavairo

• Passion Incarnate
  • Officer
  • Did someone call for firepower?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
WOW just sent me 7 days of free time
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:58:16 AM »
so you WOW vets might want to go check your emails, for your free 7 days. :)

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
  • Build it up, tear it down
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
Re: WOW just sent me 7 days of free time
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 08:46:31 AM »
2 games = enough.

Offline mkilczewski

• Star Wars... BioWare... What the hell happened?
  • He's no good to me, dead...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 06:54:35 PM »
THE PANDA RED ARMY WANTS YOU!
All this happened... more, or less.

Offline Mavairo

• Passion Incarnate
  • Officer
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:28:29 PM »
screw the pandas. I just want an alt game to help pass the time, for the inevitable server ques for when swtor launches :P

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »
Its called rift

Offline mkilczewski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 04:59:35 PM »
Rift, WoW, Medeival Guys With Stabby Junk Treadmill, call it what you want, they're all the same. Except now you have Pandas. Cue "Kung Fu Fightin". :)

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »
Yes thats true BUT, Rift and WoW work.

Offline mkilczewski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »
What do you think Trion's "me too" counter to the Pandarens will be? My money is on either the Koali, intelligent, laid back, eucalyptus loving, cuddlies, from the long, lost, southern, continent. Or the Otterans, piratical Lutrinarians, who use their tummies for tables, should Trion decide on a more nautical flavored expansion.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:19:35 PM by mkilczewski »

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 05:33:19 PM »
I don't know, what do you think Cryptic's "me too" doppleganger of an actual playable game will be?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:07:10 PM by Kalin »

Offline Mavairo

• Passion Incarnate
  • Officer
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:42:35 PM »
What do you think Trion's "me too" counter to the Pandarens will be? My money is on either the Koali, intelligent, laid back, eucalyptus loving, cuddlies, from the long, lost, southern, continent. Or the Otterans, piratical Lutrinarians, who use their tummies for tables, should Trion decide on a more nautical flavored expansion.

Show us on the doll where Trion touched you. Other than making a game so infinitely better it shut down sto guild progress as we fled the sinking ship  :)

WOW, and RIFT are so infinitely different at end game, let alone gameplay of the classes, I seriously doubt Trion is going to follow WOW's lead. Especially given how risky their next two products are.

I know I know, game mechanics, and game play aren't important to a STOite. The only thing that matters are pretty particle effects leaving your ship.

Offline mkilczewski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »
"And then Trion Molestered me" Seriously, the particle effects ARE pretty sweet in STO. (rofl) Mechanics and game play are very important to me. I just don't feel that because the mechanics don't work the way I think they should, that there's something fundementally flawed in the game. Some folks like games where you just level, and loot, and tweak numbers, looking for the perfect build. Then they get all butt-hurt when someone exploits the rules and beats them. It's frustrating. I don't find it enjoyable either. That's why I generally stay away from PvP. I'm on the opposite end, I tend to look deeper into games, for things like pacing, and story. Ultimately, at some point, I ask myself "do I actually feel like I'm a part of this world?" For me, most run-o-the-mill MMOs fail that test, with a resounding "NO". Probably why I'm slightly underwhelmed by SWTOR. To me, BioWare really had the chance to do something awesome, and possibly, revolutionary. If anyone was going to break the MMO mold, BioWare could. Yet, instead of saying "Ok guys, how can we make an MMO work with Star Wars?' They just took the easy road and shoe horned Star Wars into your standard MMO format. With a dialogue wheel. Where your guy doesn't even say the choice you pick on the wheel most of the time. Anyway, I like STO, regardless of what you guys think, and I'm sure you guys will continue to enjoy Rift no matter my thoughts. (VV)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:30:19 PM by mkilczewski »

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »
I think STO is flawed because of two things.  The game does not work in PvP; it just doesn't.  Press a button and get an action sure  but the mechanics themselves create situations where you can be stunned for longer then it takes to get shot down by the ship that's stunning you and it can happen over and over.  That is broken. Or the calculation errors that give one faction a significant advantage over the others. 

In PvE it works just fine unfortunately once you're down the episodes the fun factor plummets because there isn't anything else to do. In Rift for example there are new things added all the time and new ways of building up your character past level cap.  There are things around the environment that you can just do on a whim if you have no direction and PvP is not only bigger but better with specific rewards that better your character for doing it.  In STO PvP isn't fun and there isn't any reason for me to do the PvE stuff.  Its just not exciting.

Offline Mavairo

• Passion Incarnate
  • Officer
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 07:36:50 PM »
I would argue that even the PVE doesn't work in STO due to how utterly brain dead the AI is, how utterly non existent end game content is, and the sheer number of reused planets, and don't get me started on that joke that passes itself off as exploration. What end game content there is (STFs) is so very poorly designed and thought out that it's literally just a walk in the park and are so utterly boring due to it being about just spamming DPS to win. There's no kiting, aggro management, control zones or anything that makes a true instance worth playing. It's just put your face down on the board and spam moar dps.

Before STO, I was a PvEer. A Raider and dungeon delver in most games. I saved my PvP for things like Armored Core, and Ace Combat.

STO's content was so shallow and pathetic I turned to the only thing that could offer any kind of variables and that was PvP. I got good at it, better than most people anyway and never once did I cheat to do it.

However STO's pvp and even ultimately (even if they fix the prior mentioned problems with pve and an utter dearth of content) pve completely fall apart due to various User Interface exploits that enable one to equip two shields, have multiple commander bridge officers and other scores of offenses that should never had made it past the first three months. Let alone 2 years.  This is not a Feature of the gameplay it's not even an overpowered skill (of which there were plenty of that came and went as Cryptic's attempts at balancing are more akin to hitting it with a hammer or giving it Mark Meguiare steroids or smashing the skill into nigh worthlessness than even remotely contemplating listening to feedback given by the Math guys such as Bigredjedi was)
It is an out and out Exploit of the game client and user interface.

Offline mkilczewski

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 11:27:49 PM »
Brain dead AI? It's an MMO. Please don't tell me that you think the Rift AI routines are superior on a tactical level. I played the game. When the badguys see you, they attack you untill dead. Same as in STO.

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 02:39:04 AM »
Brain dead AI? It's an MMO. Please don't tell me that you think the Rift AI routines are superior on a tactical level. I played the game. When the badguys see you, they attack you untill dead. Same as in STO.

I'll agree on that save for Rift Bosses and event bosses are a little different but on the whole I'd agree except for 2 things, 1 you played for 10 levels so...  2nd the dynamic bosses later require real skill.  But on the whole I do agree MMO AI is awful in PvE