Author Topic: The basics of Catapult 101.  (Read 877 times)

Offline Mavairo

• Passion Incarnate
  • Officer
  • Did someone call for firepower?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
The basics of Catapult 101.
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:04:42 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm going to introduce you to the Catapult today. The Catapult and how it is setup is arguably the most important part of how a given team operates in combat. It is the very foundation of damage out put and kills for a given team.  Please note this thread, is the first of many and like my threads before in other games, is subject to being changed, with various balance passes, and as my knowledge of the game expands.

A close range catapult for example, means the team is going to be based around more close in fighting to help support the cats, on average. Any assault mechs on the team generally will be carrying an LRM10 or 15, to provide long range fire support while they close into combat.  Light mechs as always are best built as close in skirmishers so you have them peppering, and murdering targets that the cats put a crippling on, and any Dragons on the field will probably be also built as skirmishers to better support the cats and lights with a possible addtion of 2 LRM5s to cause long range target disruption.   This is a great example of how a pair of cats will affect team composition on a premade level.

Long range cats, the scouts become more of target markers, and any dragons become a long range fire support mech with a pair of streak2s or srm4s to clear off enemy close range harassment. Assault mechs will probably carry a Streak or SRM or two, to help deal with any light weight harassment mechs. 

How the team moves also changes, as an lrm heavy team will want to keep their backs to as much cover as possible, and their enemies hopefully in wide open spaces as much as possible. While a close range team will be moving through thick cover to cover, carefully, to out flank longer range combatants and isolate any enemy mechs possible, and overwhelm them in a very short time span.

The first question is, how many cats do you take in a given team?

For an 8 man group, the most successful teams I have been with tend to take 2. The 2 cats are generally kitted out incredibly similarly and fulfill the same battlefield role. This is because the catapult is a very effective force multiplier when taken in multiples of the same kind.

For a 4 man group you can bring this down to 1 and generally be Ok.

My next post in this article series will cover the specific catapult variants in detail. This was just the overview and general team tactics relating to the Catapult.