Author Topic: neXt Box Headed to Homes in 2013?  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
  • Build it up, tear it down
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
neXt Box Headed to Homes in 2013?
« on: October 21, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »
The internet is rumbling with the rumour that the Next XBox is set for a Debut at E3 2013 and will be released for the holidays that year.  There's still a ways to go but apprently developers are beginning to receive early Dev Kits.

Offline Mavairo

• Passion Incarnate
  • Officer
  • Did someone call for firepower?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: neXt Box Headed to Homes in 2013?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:42:03 PM »
Honestly I was expecting Nintendo to flinch first given the Wii's lack of staying power, and lack of success with the 3ds.

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 07:49:50 PM »
Nintendo's console is coming out in March... it's way more powerful then the PS3.  3D's problem is software, they've sold millions of units so its not really a failure.

Offline Mavairo

• Passion Incarnate
  • Officer
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:05:19 PM »
From my understanding they were talking another price drop already on the 3ds.

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:37:25 PM »
They wouldn't do that it's suicide.  They have tabled a suggestion that a redesign may be in order but with Mario Land, Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, Smash Bros. Metal Gear Solid and Mario Kart in the near future and now 3D movies with 3D movie shooting ability you can expect a rise in sales.

Offline mkilczewski

• Star Wars... BioWare... What the hell happened?
  • He's no good to me, dead...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »
Problem with the redesign is it would cost more than the original unit to manufacture, and they're still gonna have to do drop the price again, not only to push it out the door, but to avoid pissing of the first generation consumers. They painted themselves into a corner. Go figure the logic, they release a handheld with one analog stick, and it flops. Now they plan to release a console that you can only hook one controller to at a time. Like people are gonna want that. Any guess where this is going? In a few years Nintendo will probably bow out of the console end and go third party, like Sega did. They can't compete with Sony or Wild Bill. The Wii was a magnificent disaster. Instead of going for all the low hanging, casual gaming, fruit, they should have focused on something that could smoke the 360 and PS3. Now they're a day late, and a dime short. Let's face it, until someone develops a holodeck, 3D, motion sensing, gaming is just an excersize in dancing around like a mental patient, while giving yourself head ache inducing, eye strain. Nintendo hasn't had a hit since the Super NES, IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:22:45 PM by mkilczewski »
All this happened... more, or less.

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 02:59:14 AM »
The console can connect and play 4 players with any of the previous wireless controllers.  It can currently only connect 1 tablet controller but they are looking at adding support for more.  In online it wouldn't matter only in home play.

The 3DS 1 Analog stick was a bad oversight but not something that can't be overcome.  As far as my experience is concerned I haven't had an eyestrain issues and neither has any people that I know who have it.  Not a big deal and it can be turned off. Their main issue is software, the system launched before it was intended to launch and as a result no real software to help push it.  There won't be another price drop because there is no need, it is now priced below Vita and unless Sony drops its price then what's the point?  Now there is a preception that the 3DS launch was some sort of collosal failure which isn't true, it is selling fine, the issue is that it was selling less then market analyst predictions which hits the stock in the company, hence price drop.  For another perspective Apple stock lost 5 dollars when the iPhone sold 17,000,000 units as opposed to the 20 that was predicted.  Failure?  With 5 billion dollars in sales in 1 quarter?  Not really. 

As far as hits Nintendo has had plently but 3rd party hits have been the problem I hope they can turn that around with the new system.  Being first to market with a lot of 3rd party support is definately a boon and thats what they have right now.

Offline mkilczewski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 12:12:02 PM »
Any way you look at it, whether they lost money or didn't make enough money, some folks over at Nintendo had to take some embarrassing conference calls, and/or attend some uncomfortable meetings, and will be in the doghouse for the foreseeable future if the weren't terminated. As Gordon Gecko would say, if you ain't makin' it, you're losin' it. Whether an official failure or not, who want's hardware that doesn't have software?

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 04:47:20 PM »
I doubt there's any firing, while I do agree some might be in the doghouse, their hiccups are small in comparison to Sony's (Network out for a month and then re hacked when fixed), the PSP Go... (sold less then 10,000 units).  Or Microsoft... a year after the fact we admit that our console is defective, here's the newer version... of crap its still defective.

Point being that everyone has gone gone through it and if any of Nintendo's competitors thought they could exploit how Nintendo handled the 3DS they would've.  Its not fair to point the finger at Nintendo and say ha ha look how bad you fucked up when they came right out and said we fucked up and we apologize, something that neither Sony or Microsoft did BTW.  So why is Nintendo the goat?  Their competitors fucked up worse more often.  Xbox and PS3 still haven't touched the Wii in sales and the iPhone and PsP have not come close to touching the DS sales numbers.  This is hardly concern.  Nintendo weathered this storm before.... Virtual Boy, Game Cube, I don't think that they're very worried about 3DS unless the holiday season is miserable.

Offline mkilczewski

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 06:57:29 AM »
Good point. Time will tell. Personally, I think they'll be joining Sega sooner rather than later.

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »
Well the real test will be the Wii-U, if they do the things they need to do, and indications are that they are so far, (working with 3rd parties closely, redesigning online the way publishers want to see it, and of course quality 3rd party software.)  Then it'll be fine, if they drop that ball in any of the areas then I fear they may go the way of the do-do hardware wise.  That would be sad because I still love Nintendo as much as they piss me off... simillar emotions to my wife.

Offline mkilczewski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »
Yea, going strictly by the nostalgia factor, it's a toss up between my favorite systems of all time. Either the SuperNes or Intellivision. Long live the Blue Sky Rangers!

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »
That was about 3 or 4 years before my time!

Offline Mavairo

• Passion Incarnate
  • Officer
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 08:08:45 AM »
Genesis For Life.

Though I also loved the SNES.