Author Topic: The Secret World - Overview  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
  • Build it up, tear it down
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
The Secret World - Overview
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:38:06 AM »
The Secret World - What I've learned so far...

So I figured I'd provide some info on it for those that were curious.  The Secret Word follows you on a quest who's be all end all objective isn't that clear.  All you know at the beginning is that you've been conscripted into one of three factions, The Templar's, The Dragons or the Illuminati and that these factions exist in both our real world and the secret world.  The three factions have an uneasy alliance with one another but ultimately their goals are all the same which is to protect our world from the dangers of the secret world.  However at the time you are conscripted the the secret world is breaking through to the real world causing all sorts of wonky activity and it's your task to go to the hot spots, find out why this is happening and stop it.  Your journey takes place across the world in real locations as well as the secret world.

So... the time line is set in modern day times which is a refreshing change, the settings themselves are either real places or places that were created using a bunch of fictional stories or myths that we are all familliar with.  The opening town of Kingsmouth for example is steeped with classical references, so many that I didn't even get them the all but most people know what Elm St.  is and who HP Lovecraft is etc.  The game is filled to the brim with these references and there is plenty of its own lore that you can discover and read as well.  Some of the quests you have to do are similliar to stories you may have read or movies you have seen and this is done on purpose, but the greater story is an original one and there is lots of story. 

I've never played an MMO with so much story, it is just full of story that is well connected.  The questing is divided up into two seperate types, one follows a sort of traditional approach but things like fetch quests and the sort are generally part of a larger quest.  So you'll start out on tier 1 which will require you to do something which will lead you to tier two which will require something else all the way up to a resolution.  Than there are research quests, some things will require you to solve puzzles by thinking about it, some will require you to google it (via the games built in browser) and some may require you to visit websites set up for the game to find key information.  A lot of this stuff is not obvious and for me is my favourite part of the game.

Character building, there are no levels in the game instead you are given 2 sets of points.  There is SP, which is a skill point that you can use to upgrade your current skills and your AP which I think are ability points.  While you can basically think of SP as levels there isn't any attention spent on "levels" themselves.  You can just build up skills as you see fit into whatever areas you wish as you want them.  This also kind of brings about a classless system but your skills are limited so if you want a little of everything you won't be that useful.  If you have specific builds that you are interested in the game has "Decks" which provides you with a guide to what you need to reach that goal, if you complete it you get rewarded with build specific gear.  Right now I have a build that is damage heavy, I have a shot gun as a primary weapon, a sword as a secondary and another build which is elemental magic and sword.  You have 7 passive and 7 active skills at anytime which you can assign how you see fit based on what weapons you are using.  You can also have seperate wardrobes which puts gear and items together with the weaons they benefit and the skills you want to use.

PVP I haven't tried yet but will shortly.
Crafting, is neat, it basically revolves around you getting a weapon, collecting runes etc.  breaking down your weapon, upgrading your alloys, combing your runes into glyphs and combining them all together again to make a better weapon more suited to your specific needs.  If you've played minecraft you'd see a lot of similarities.

Offline mkilczewski

• Star Wars... BioWare... What the hell happened?
  • He's no good to me, dead...
    • View Profile
Re: The Secret World - Overview
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
Don't forget, it's got swear words, sex, and all kinds of other, dark, edgy, stuff, too.
All this happened... more, or less.

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:54:59 AM »
Yeah there's plenty of swearing, there's implied sex I suppose. There's discussion about sex.

Offline mkilczewski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »
The Oriental guy's (Dragons?) at least for a female toon, begins with a sapphic canoe trip down lake Lickasnatchie, in the back of what appears to be, a Yakuza brothel. There's a video somewhere. It's like xbox, only more hardcore.

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »
Dragons are in Korea; which does kind of start with some brothelesque sort of thing.  There's the Templar's in London and Illuminati in NY.  Those are the "home bases"  nice that each are different.

Offline mkilczewski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:04:23 AM »
Sure.