Author Topic: My car is gone...  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Mavairo

• Passion Incarnate
  • Officer
  • Did someone call for firepower?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
My car is gone...
« on: March 04, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/legends_inc1/Cars/

My firebird. No it's not a dog or even alive. But this was my car. My dream car. Ever since I saw one as a child, I knew someday I would have one. I'm no poet and I'm nothing fancy as far as a writer. But I have to post this, or else it's going to kill me. This car was to me what was left of my soul this car wasn't just some dishwasher with wheels. It was a car someone had put their soul into, and a car to be appreciated as more than just a mere machine. A true car, becomes Art because it speaks to it's owner on some deep psychological level. It doesn't have to be scorchingly fast, it just needs to have a unique character, something you will always remember fondly, days gone by or 20 years down the road you open the garage take a look at your piece of Art, that someone wrought many painstaking hours on the design floor over and then you thereafter, and smile.

A car is more than just a hunk of steel, plastic, and rubber. A car is and rightfully should be part of it's owner.

It took me until last year to get my wish. On a shining may morning I got a phone call from my father saying he had seen a Firebird for sale and was wondering if I was interested. I asked him where it was to take a look at it.

This was the beautiful machine that sat there waiting for someone take her home. I knew as saw as I saw the car, that some way I was going to buy the car. The rational and calm part of my brain explained calmly that there's a reason it's on a car lot. People don't just give up Firebirds, especially ones like this willingly without some catastrohpic damage. I was greatful that my logical and calm side was dead wrong. It drove as if it had just rolled off the assembly line and I knew I had to get it.

Five years of looking for the right car, and here it came to me.
I bought the car and got a steal on it. The car salesman thought it was a salvage title, and he didn't find out otherwise till the day the money changed hands. Not only that he got the year wrong by 3 years.

Relearning how to drive a stick in that car, and taking it around. I couldn't believe it was mine. She hadn't yet gotten a name and people ribbed me about it. I told them I would know the right name when the time was right. Months and months went by, and then the car got her name. A hose that had been on the car since 1996 finally let go, gushing radiator fluid all over the street by my best friend's place. Panic hilarity and two dealership related mess ups later, I looked at the car which I had just gotten back from a long trip to Charlotte at and I knew the car's name. Christine. I joked and said "you suckered me in girl. Now you have me and wanna bleed me." The car and I never had a problem since. I bought new rims and tires for the car, giving it a massive aesthetics upgrade that left me wondering why GM ever put those fugly factory wheels on the car to start with that surely started life on a Bonneville's design team. (and they probably didn't want them)

The car and I were making progress and life moved forward, new parts were ordered to upgrade my brakes.  Finally my life was turning the corner. Finally I could start to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and maybe the worst days of my life were over. That came to a crashing halt early this morning while I slept soundly on the couch. Some newspaper delivery man, driving on the wrong side of the road on a 20mph street going at least 30, ran head long into my dear Christine. I laid awake, just before it happened knowing that I should get up and head home, just as I pondered getting out of bed, my best friend gave me news that short of telling me that my family had died in a fire, could not have wrenched my soul asunder more completely. "Aaron you have to get up. Someone hit your car"

It didn't truly hit me until I came home, without my beloved car. I sit here weeping like a girl, trying to articulate to you, to all of you how I feel and I know I'm coming up horribly short.  I have lost something today that represented the last hard five years of blood sweat and tears, I have lost something that isn't even just a material thing. I have lost something that I truly loved, perhaps as much as the first woman I ever fell in love with. I know it's silly to get so attatched to "just a car" but the car was more than that. That car mirrored me

Offline Naevius

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: My car is gone...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »
Crap, what a bummer.

Some things represent a lot of associated memories. I've lost bicycles that I valued more than any car because of all the work I put into them.

Offline Bubbler

• N00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 01:03:35 PM »
Holy shit, that really fucking sucks. I can only imagine from your telling of it that its a complete write off? I hope the idiot can be held responsible in some way.

Offline mkilczewski

• Star Wars... BioWare... What the hell happened?
  • He's no good to me, dead...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:30:23 PM »
I hear ya. Felt this way when I lost the Batmobile. Start lookin'. Pontiacs are an endangered species.
All this happened... more, or less.

Offline Mavairo

• Passion Incarnate
  • Officer
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »
I haven't heard from his insurance company yet (got ahold of them today now that I have the police report etc)
but if I have not heard by 10am tomorrow they will be hearing from me again.

It's most likely going to be a write off, the blue book is less than 3k and there's easily that in damage done probably. Unless some miracle happens.

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
  • Build it up, tear it down
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
What the hell? Was they guy drunk or just really stupid?

Offline Mavairo

• Passion Incarnate
  • Officer
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:48:51 PM »
So jackass's insurance I found out was apparently lapsed for over a year. Fortunately, it appears my insurance has a "no insured" clause where they will take it out of the guys ass for me and cover my car without screwing me over financially.

Now the 64.000 question is, will they say the car is totaled or not.
I've visited the car, in daylight now, and I think there's a fifty/fifty shot at them being willing to fix it..

If they don't there's a Firebird Formula for sale now not too far from my house for around 3k. Basically it's my exact car, with the V8, and most likely disc brakes in the rear. She's even the same shade of red.

Offline Kalin

• Forum Destroyer
  • Administrator
  • Build it up, tear it down
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »
Whatever happens, hopefully it works out for you. I know how happy you were when you got that machine.